Amanda,

In our Archaeology for Kids program we use 1x1 meter mock test units. We built several squares out of boards (one-by-eights, I think) and set them right on the ground outside, although for an indoor excavation you could build the square on a piece of plywood. We used different soils to make stratigraphic layers, like those described by Mr. Hall. We made buried hearth features out of cobbles or fire cracked rock arranged in a circle with charcoal inside, and used artifacts from our teaching collection, although for a historic site you can use broken yard-sale ceramics and/or redware flowerpots. Use your imagination for artifact sources; it sounds like you are on the right track.

Remember to stress that good archaeology is dependent on methodical digging and careful note-taking; artifacts only yield their valuable information to us if we view them within their context. Once we remove the objects from the ground, much of their meaning is lost unless we can re-create the site from our notes, drawings, and maps.

A site map may show the presence of (hypothetical) preliminary shovel test pits (STPs) and their contents. During a survey, archaeologists dig STPs in a grid, usually one STP every 15 meters over the project area.Where we decide to place our test units depends on the type and quantity of artifacts we find during our survey. You could have the kids decide where to place the units on the map by observing which STPs contained high densities of artifacts. The North-East corner of the site area can serve as a datum, and would have the coordinates of 0 m North, 0 m East. The location of each test unit would be the coordinates of the unit's North-East corner, such as 5 meters North, 3 meters East (of the datum point). You can do the map on a big sheet of graph paper to make it easy to plot the coordinates and draw the test units.

Feel free to contact me off list [log in to unmask] for more info, and I'll dig up our teaching materials.

-Janna

Janna Rudler

Public Archaeology Facility

Binghamton University (SUNY)