I'll certainly give a plug for staying in Arlington, specifically the
Rosslyn area.  There are a number of hotels within a block or two of Rosslyn
metro (blue and orange lines), and it's a very safe area.  It's also just a
beautiful walk over the Key Bridge into Georgetown with fantastic
restaurants on the waterfront and along M Street.  It's also very easy to
head up Wilson Blvd. into Courthouse and Clarendon (and even Ballston,
although I'd recommend metro if you're going that far) for some other great
restaurants and people-watching on a nice night.

Since my coworker has already plugged Woodrow Wilson House and Decatur House
(which IS open, by the way, although they are doing some construction), I
will also plug Woodlawn, which is only three miles from Mount Vernon, and a
great complement to that tour.  I promise you will get a much more personal
tour at Woodlawn, the home of Martha Washington's granddaughter.  They are
having a special 50th anniversary exhibition right now, which focuses on the
development of the legacy of George Washington.  While you're there you can
also visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Pope-Leighey House - an excellent example of
his Usonian designs.

Sandra Smith
Collections Manager
Stewardship of Historic Sites
National Trust for Historic Preservation
202-588-6154 voice
202-588-6232 fax