Susanne- From my own experience I have found that any humid environment just trashes bridles. The metal corrodes at an astonishing rate. I would keep these items in the dry storage (preferably about 55% rh to keep from totally drying out the leather).  I would wax the bridles with a waterproofing wax made especially for leather to keep it from cracking. Beeswax can be applied to metal, too, to protect against corrosion. This would probably work for the shield too, but perhaps you should ask a conservator just to be sure. You can contact the American Institute for Conservation at http://aic.stanford.edu. Good luck!

-Janna