Date:         Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:12:32 -0400
Sender:       Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Lin Nelson-Mayson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Public Relations Committe of a Museum Board

First - the public relations committee's first duty is to help provide
visibility for your museum.  A general purpose brochure for visitor
centers, hotels, etc. is a great task as is some form of regular
commuication, like a newsletter, to your members and to a mailing list of
the press, area political leaders, area libraries and schools.  However,
while the brochure is a one-time project that just needs to be reprinted
when you runs out, the newsletter will require a committment of time again
and again.  If the Committee decides to take this on, some one(s) will need
to make a longer-term committment to help you write, edit, etc.  Other good
PR activities may include, finding opportunities for partnerships within
your community and speaking to various area groups about the museum.  Even
helping to improve signage would be a good task.

Second - the web page.  I agree with you about not putting all of your
collection on line. A good web page should give a sense of your
institution, its collections, its exhibition(s), and general info like
directions and membership.  You still want visitors to come to the museum!
However, I think I would put a higher priority on the brochure and
newsletter than the web is you have to make choices.  Make sure your
institution is listed on any community web pages and develop a link to
visitor info pages when you get you web page developed.

Third - Collections Committee may be the right name.  That implies that
your committee deals with (unless they don't) loans, conservation, storage,
collection management - all issues that a collection may have.
Acquisitions Committee is much more limited in duties.