Andrea,

Good question!  I think the academic honors you mention are fine - they help give the impression that you are bright and promising and may help you stand out from other candidates.  Nine months ago I landed my dream job after an 18 month search.  I found that I was able to increase the level of response to my resume when both it and the cover letter were tailored to each specific position I applied for.  Sometimes I used a skills resume format and sometimes a more traditional format depending on which option allowed me to best highlight relevant qualifications.  I used to think that I could tailor my cover letter but let my resume stand as a "one size fits all" kind of document, but found this approach to be less than advantageous.  One of the best resume guides I found was (no joke) The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Your Resume.

Best of luck in your search,

Michelle Boardman