Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:01:11 -0400
I am compiling a database of African artists, artisans, stores that sell
African crafts, and educational material regarding African culture.
The URL is:  www.africancrafts.com

If you want more detail feel free to contact me.

Erica Nash

=======================
About African Crafts Online

      The most interesting sites on the Internet tend to have something
      in common, in our opinion, and that is that they were built by a
      multitude of different people and reflect a variety of voices.

      Our intention in designing the African Crafts Online website has
      been to set up just such a site, where anybody with an interest, or
      business, in the arts of Africa can contribute information. The
      result, we hope, will lead to a site that reflects the great variety
      of ideas and techniques found in the arts of Africa - both traditional
      and modern.

      We wish to provide a venue for all African artisans to showcase
      their work. Additionally we will showcase product designers
      whose work incorporates African materials or designs; and will
      provide information on books, articles and educational materials
      of interest. In the great linking tradition of the Web, we hope that
      this site will link together disparate sources of information - from
      the people who work in the traditional crafts and those who are
      influenced by them.

      The most exciting prospect for the African Crafts Online website,
      would be for it to act as a giant world-accessible bulletin board!
      Our job, as we view it, is to keep it running and to organize all the
      information on it so that viewers can easily find what interests
      them.

      We invite submissions from artisans, product designers,
      scholars, authors, photographers, merchants, and all who simply
      have a passion for Africa's designs.

      Most of our services are free to qualified individuals and
      organizations.

      There is also a commercial area of the website, the "Shops",
      where several retailers offer their product catalogs under a unified
      ordering mechanism which we maintain.

      To find out more about ACO, click on any of the links in the menu on
      the left at the top. The bottom menu leads to the major sections of
      the site. We hope you find the site interesting and if you have
anything
      to  tell us about it, please don't hesitate! we'd love to hear it.

Museum-L" (without the quotes).