From:
Full Name <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 08:45:35 EDT
Interesting concept. In small towns, the volunteer fire company and emergency
ambuland squad contribute a great deal of social capital. Diners and coffee
shops are also vital social centers.  How can history museums and the arts
participate in that setting in a positive way?  I've noted that just going to
the diner for breakfast once a month and chatting with my neighbors gives
them easy access to the museums  "What's going on up there? When will the new
projects be finished? Can I get a horse show donors pin for a friend? A
friend of mine is cleaning out his attic - who should he talk to at the
museum? That was a great event over the weekend? Are you guys ready for the
big event?"

Lots of interplay.  So how can we go further with content issues and further
culture and arts exposure. I wonder what kind of exhibit we could temporarily
put in the smoke and grease filled (sometimes) diner for our neighbors and
travelers?

K. Boardman