From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 17:10:22 -0700
Well, I am very pleased with my Sony Mavica.  It's wonderful.  Uses a
rechargeable battery (averaging 180 minutes of shooting, but, it turns
itself off if you're not using it for a while so you get significant
life time on the battery.

I'm not a cables to dowload type of person.  Too klutzy and too
impatient to wait for the download.  One of the great features of the
Mavica is that you shoot straight to disk, rather than to camera.  The
pictures are then in JPEG format, and there's no need to convert.

Basically, you're limited to the number of diskettes and the battery
"juice" you have.  An additional rechargeable battery can be purchased
for about $80.

It has all the features of my Canon EOS, plus you can change the
effects.  You can shoot in color, B&W, sepia, pastel tones, or reverse
image (where dark is light and vice versa).

It has a zoom feature as well, and you can replay the pix on the screen
in camera (if you have not renamed the files from those the camera has
named it, otherwise, it won't recognize it to view in camera, but you
rename on puter).

I love having a digital, especially with the grandbabies.  You can take
all the pix you want and, unlike film cameras, just delete what you
don't want and keep going.

It also has multiple settings as to quality.  The lower the quality,
the fewer you can use on disk (I recommend using Sony disks; I seem to
get more capacity and higher quality).

I bought mine a year ago.  It was wonderful then, but they have
improved it now with more DPI on the newer version and I believe
there's more to the zoom feature.

I paid $699 for mine, and I had searched all over to see if I could
best that price, but to no avail.  The ads for this year's model, I
believe are $800.

A word about storage.  I keep both my Canon and my Sony  in one of the
insulated lunch boxes (the square kind, with the plastic round the
bottom, and zipper on top).  Then I can put it in the trunk of my car
and have it when I need it to shoot (since it's those inspirational
pictures that are best).  It protects the equipment and nobody thinks
it's a camera case.

I have no interest in SONY stock, just for the record.  Oh, and a
professional photographer with whom I was taking an advanced HTML class
recommended it to me.

--- "M.E. Woodruff" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Has anyone used these or
> would like to recommend
> another camera.  (I have already checked the
> museum-l archives.)  Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Mary Woodruff
> Photo Archivist