From:
Wayne and Mary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:54:54 -0800
I agree that the original donor can be treated like anyone else when it
comes to deaccessioning an item.  It would be the wiser move, however, to
discreetly dispose of items without the original donor being aware of it.

Regardless of how long ago they gave the item or of how little value,
donors somehow feel unappreciated or at least they feel their gifts are
unappreciated  if you tell them what you are doing.

For example our little vest poclet museum here regularly receives items
that can only be considered junk.  The policy is to accept items of
interest to those in the County.  This has a wide interpretation. So the
old curator accepts a donation of a gnarled tree stump from a farmer's
field (I swear!).  Now try and get rid of it! The new curator wants to
pitch in the garbage.  I told him to make sure it was wrapped somehow
when he does it and not to spread the word! Same goes for the piece of
2x4 from the shed that burned down on another farm.  Maybe we should
start a discussion on the most unusual articles donated!

Regards

Mary Haegele

                              [