Katherine Futers <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:40:58 +0000
A query that's recently come through mda:
----------------------------

As you know, I am looking for locations for the first in a series of
documentaries for Channel Four on the history of erotica. It's a
six-part series, the first of which will look at, amongst other
things, the excavation of Pompeii through the eyes of the Victorians,
and the development of the concept of 'pornography' in the nineteenth
century.  For the programme, we will be shooting on location at
Pompeii, at the Museum of Naples, in India and in the UK.  What we are
desperately searching for is a location for various interviews, and
some sequences, which would reflect the idea of 'The Secret Museum".

We were wondering if you could recommend any museums that a) aren't
modern, though they don;t necessarily need to be Victorian and b) have
a collection of erotic artefacts, preferably in one place rather than
spread throughout the museum.  The ideal place would be a
Victorian/Edwardian museum or room within a museum,  with a 'dusty'
feel, wood and glass display cases, some of which would not be set
against the wall but would be freestanding with glass on all sides....
In addition, the ideal location would have its own (however small)
collection of ''erotic" artefacts - from any culture or period, though
Classical objects would be of particular interest. A pre-Twentieth
Century staircase, unmodernised, and preferably behind-the-scenes,
would also be very useful.

As I said, I realise that this is a lot to ask for in one museum, and
we are very unlikely to find it all in one place!  However, there may
be a small museum which has some of these attributes. Any suggestions,
however unlikely, would be extremely gratefully received.

My email is [log in to unmask] , and the production
office telephone number is 0171 737 2222.

Thanks very much for your help.

Best Wishes
Kate Williams - Director

Katherine Futers - mda Standards Support Officer
Tel: +44 1223 315760  Fax: +44 1223 362521
[log in to unmask]    www.mda.org.uk