From:
Diane B Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:35:48 -0700
In the University of British Columbia Anthropological Museum (Vancouver, B.C.)
are large cabinets with drawers that contain artifacts. These are visible per
drawer to the mueum visitor and had something similar to plexiglass
slotted/locked covers. I'm afraid I visited there over six years ago and from
the perspective of a half-day visitor during the Antho. Conference at Simon
Fraser, so do not have a detailed note of the materials used or contact person.

    The artifacts housed in these enormous wooden bureaus were representatives
from the various geographical areas, in the collections of the museum. I
thought it was an intelligent approach. It was in a low light area and the
artifacts were primarily in a dark drawer between viewings. Also the
possibility of rotating the artifacts to complement different exhibits seemed
possible. I spent hours viewing the drawers and along with their atrium-like
totem pole diplay area felt as if I had a chance to visit inside the
collections storage area.

Diane Rice