Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:43:07 -0700
I do believe that to keep volunteers who are not meeting the needs and goals of
the museum is to do no one a service.  It is helpful if, when taking on
volunteers, you make it clear that they are coming on staff at an unpaid level,
but that the expectations for performances and adherence to policy (espeically
conflict of interest) are the same whether paid or unpaid.  This means having
performance appraisals, supplying job descriptions, training and supervision.
I have seen programs with high expectations of volunteers work beautifully both
in Canada and the United States.  I have also seen programs with low
expectations create the very nightmares that many of you have experienced.
    Yes, they are doing us a favor by volunteering, but this can only be
considered a favor if they are doing what you need done.  If you want someone
to prep fossils and they are more interested in sharing their life story with
anyone who will listen, the work slows, sometimes stops, and bosses get angry
that the work isn't being done to standard.  This is exactly the sort of thing
which then gives a museum a bad name in the community and with other museums.
    If you want to be considered professional, then my contention is that
everyone working with the museum must act in a professional manner.  Sometimes
it means making hard decisions like firing them.  As someone in this group
said, it is no easier to fire paid staff.  Give written warnings, try to solve
the problem and if it persists, act.

Susan J. Wittrup
Volunteer Coordinator
Tate Geological Museum