From:
"Vaughan, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:46:38 -0500
At the Smiths Falls Railway Museum of Eastern Ontario we were plagued by
pigeons roosting in the exterior roof supports.

We strung monofilament fishing line just above each beam.  After some
experimentation we discovered the best combination was thre or four strands
about two inches above the beam and a single one about five inches above.

This discouraged the birds from landing and therefore from roosting.

They are stubborn however and while we reduced our pigeon problem by about
80% we still have a few holdouts.  The will land on the beams and pick their
way around the line, looking very uncomfortable as they do so.  Hopefully we
will come up with a solution for these few.

The fishing line is inexpensive and unobtrusive, however it does require
ongoing maintenance.

Robert Vaughan
Curator