From:
"Poulliot, Becky" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 10:00:50 -0500
Patrick,

        I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner.  Here are the answers to each
question.

Guidelines--AT HRNM, in 1996 we formed a Speakers' Bureau group consisting
of about 14 volunteers and 4 staff.  We hold meetings infrequently now; more
at the beginning.  We developed topics, approved by the committee, to fit
the 20 & 45 minute time slots, which are the most common.  Each speaker
provides a bio and an outline of prepared talks, which our educator keeps on
file.  The museum purchased equipment and pays for slide duplication for the
speakers, which are checked out by the educator.

HRNM funded a brochure advertising the bureau.  Initially, we methodically
targeted all the civic groups on the Peninsula and Southside.  (We probably
need to send them out again now.)  Word of mouth keeps us going now.  Most
of our speakers belong to other organizations such as Kiwanis, so we are
popular with those groups.

Specific questions:

(1)  Paid staff is normally compensated for after hours talks with comp
time.
(2)  It varies--Maybe once per month.
(3)  Not really--we don't turn down anyone without at least trying to fit
them in.  Although, we do like more advance notice than 1 day.  And
sometimes that's all the notice we get.
(4)  Peninsula & Southside.  Occasionally we've travelled afar, but that's a
rarity and involves special circumstances.

I'll mail you a copy of our brochure if you haven't seen it.  Where do you
want it mailed?

I am so happy that you got the job--and know it will benefit the whole
state--and us.

Give a call sometime.

Bec