From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 09:18:36 -0500
Interesting questions, especially for smaller museums.

It is easy for even the smallest museums to see some need for membership
and fund raising systems.  Curators won't disagree that a computer does a
better job of keeping track of things than a card file.  But the investment
to automate even these core systems can be substantial.  Worse, it is
ongoing--once a system is in it has to be maintained and updated.  The
largest museums have begun to address these issues, but the cost of doing
it right is a substantial barrier even for the largest museums.

But these are just the core systems.  Museums have some of the most complex
information environments of any kind of institution.  Implementing and
integrating systems which meet all our various needs (museum shop, library,
group tours, finance, collections, membership, fund raising, conservation,
admissions, etc.) is a daunting task for a museum of any size.

The real difficulty is that every museum is different.  Any
one-size-fits-all solution won't fit anyone well.  And finding thoughtful
IS help (at a reasonable price) is becoming increasingly difficult. Anyone
can make a computer function.  Making a set of systems work well in as
complex an institution as a museum is a task which needs solid experience.

Things which might be useful are solid numbers about the real costs and
real benefits of automating and integrating specific systems (the hardest
"why" question) and examples of successful implementations.

Guy Hermann
Director of IS, Mystic Seaport
Past President, the Museum Computer Network

Guy Hermann  | Mystic Seaport  |  <http://www.mysticseaport.org>
see also: <http://www.mcn.edu> and http://amistad.mysticseaport.org