Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 13:28:55 -0400
Our 14 log dwellings were relocated in the mid-1970s, but were raised above
ground by construction of reasonably authentic stone foundations as are
found in this region of Virginia.

We spray Thompson water seal every three years to protect the logs against
moisture damage.   For our own home, a 60-yr-old log home, we use Thompson's
every five years.

The buildings all have exhibits, but not on any kind of panels.  However,
there is no moisture affecting the interpretive legends we prepare nor do
they curl.

None of the buildings is heated or cooled, and we make no effort to
"sanitize" the interiors -- so they are just as drafty as they were in the
early 1800s.

Because our home is built over a foundation and old-time cellar, we have no
moisture problems indoors.

Intuition suggests the use of a water seal might help.  It creates a
moisture barrier for 3-5 yrs. and can't be seen by the naked eye.  Getting
your dwelling up away from the sand would also help.  From personal
experience with homes, the concrete slab floor at ground level may be a
contributing factor.

Ross Weeks Jr.
Historic Crab Orchard Museum
Tazewell VA