Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 10:52:45 -0400
7bit
From:
Stephanie James <[log in to unmask]>
The same questions about the light damage to rare and brittle materials were
asked of the microfilming process (which required a much more intense light).
Although it is true the scanning process exposes the original document to an
intense light, the time it is exposed is insignificant compared to the reduced
handling and future light exposure of the original once a surrogate is
created.  Our research has shown that high quality digital reproductions are
acceptable to most researchers, thus virtually eliminating the need to refer
to the original source.  Although I am unable to point you in the direction of
any specific technical literature (Cornell may have some technical papers on
this subject), general practise suggests that the greatest risks posed in the
scanning process come from the handling of the documents (particularly
bindings if they are not scanned in a "cradle").

Stephanie James
Early Canadiana Online
Preservation Services
Robarts Library, University of Toronto