Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Egan Institute <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 08:42:44 -0700
Does anyone out there in museum land have any works by the artist
Elizabeth Rebecca Coffin (1851-1930) in their collection? She was a
student of Thomas Eakins (in Brooklyn and Phila.) and executed many of
her finest works (in the American Realist tradition) on Nantucket Island.
I know Vassar College has several sketches by her, but I am hoping to
locate more works for a book/exhibition catalogue and retrospective
exhibition. When not summering on Nantucket, Coffin lived in Brooklyn and
exhibited at the National Academy of Design, etc. In 1876 she won the
Dodge Prize for her painting "Hanging The Nets." (This painting has not
been located.) In the late 1890s she taught a perspective class at the
Brooklyn Art Association, where she also exhibited. Any assistance with
my research will be greatly appreciated. I suspect many of her works are
in private hands somewhere - I have no idea how I will find those! I did
put a query in Antiques Magazine, but have had very few responses.
Thanks. If anyone has any info to share, please respond to Margaret
Moore at: [log in to unmask], or by mail at: Egan Institute of
Maritime Studies, 4 Winter Street, Nantucket, MA 02554. (Fax:
508-228-7069; phone: 508-228-2505.) Thanks!