From:
"Lisa A. Young" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 22:29:42 -0400
Heather, most archaeological collections are so diverse and numerous
that they are not given individual catalog numbers.  As an
archaeologist, may I suggest giving like artifacts (such as 75 pieces
of  aqua window glass) one number, and so on.  If you would like to see
a sample of an archaeological catalog or have any other questions you
may contact me.  In addition, if any of the 75 artifacts from one number
are removed, they should all be marked using approved museum methods
anyways, such as using a patch of clear Acryloid B-72/ and writing the
number on top of that with an archival black ink. That way you can put
it back where it goes.  A documentation trail, such as a removal slip,
or a note in the computer in your location field should be enough to
keep track of the artifacts as they are being researched, conserved,
analyzed, exhibited or on loan. Also, during your storage and packing of
the collections, if they are put into individual trays, or recessed
mounts for example, you can leave a space where the object was removed
from, making it clear to someone accessing the collection that the
artifacts are not all there at that point in time.

Anyways, hope that helps.

lisa Young
Archaeological Conservator

--