From:
"John E. Simmons" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:01:20 -0500
> Here in the Transvaal Museum we have 10 research departments and all
> of the Collections Managers fumigate their own collections.  We use a
> variety of poisons and methods nl:

Before you try to decide which poison to use, you need to take some
more basic steps.  First, why do you fumigate regularly?  What pests
are you killing with this fumigation?  Although it may seem like more
work, it would be well worth your while to start an integrated pest
management program at your museum, beginning with a sticky-trap
survey of your museum to see which pests you actually have.  You can
then spot-treat infestations with chemicals specific to problem
organisms, and greatly reduce the use of chemicals (and thus the risks
to your staff).  There are lots of good articles on IPM in the
literature.  I would recommend you start with the one by Wendy
Jessup in "Storage of Natural History Collections:  A Preventive
Conservation Approach."  The same book also contains an excellent
case study of the application of IPM in a museum.

> Vapona
> Betacyfluthrin (pyrethroid))
> Triflumuron (Benzoyl phenyl urea))
> naphthalene.

All of these fumigants kill some pests, but like any chemicals,
they all have unplesant side effects and can damage your collections.
Before using them as general fumigants, you need to consider what
materials they are going to come in contact with and how they will
affect them.

> We are considering moving away from these methods and doing a general
> fumigation once a year.

With a good IPM program, you should be able to reduce the need to
do this completely and proceed with spot treatments, both non-chemical
and chemical, when you need them.

> There is another question I would like to ask: what is alcohol
> persentage you store your vertebrates and invertebrates in, is it 70%
> or 75%.

Generally speaking, ethanol is used in concentrations of 70%.  However,
some invertebrates have particular preservative requirements other than
70% alcohol.

John Simmons
Natural History Museum
University of Kansas