From:
Deborah Trumble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 17:55:51 -0400
As a recent graduate, I'd like to share my experiences. I have my bachelor's degree in art history, 4 years of work experience outside of the museum world, and have just completed my MBA (Master of Business Administration).

When I graduated in 1992 and couldn't find a job in the arts, I took whatever work I could find. I worked in retail, was a front desk receptionist at a hotel and eventually found my way into purchasing interiors for hotels. All along thinking that one day I would work in a museum. When I began to consider going back to graduate school, I looked very carefully at the job market for museum professionals. I decided to carve out my own niche in museums by pursuing a degree in business. I chose this degree because it was something I enjoyed (the business aspects of museums) AND I chose this degree thinking that if I couldn't find a museum job, I could always fall back on the MBA. (As a side note: I also did an internship in DC, which separated me from my husband for four months)

A few people on Museum-L have suggested working in other industries, while looking for work in museums. And, some have mentioned finding a museum related field that might have better job opportunities. And of course, there are always internships. If you are really determined to work in a museum, you may have to do all of these things. This is exactly what I had to do. But, I am happy to say that I have found my niche. After an exhaustive job search and nearly six years after getting my art history degree, I have found the job I was looking for, an administrative position at the Smithsonian.

Hard work and sacrifices will eventually pay off, especially if you handle them with a never-wavering positive attitude, not with complaints.