From:
Bruce Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 14:59:27 +1000
Dear Jennifer,

You sent a message to our calligraphy list regarding a "quote" for your
exhibition. While I can't pick a suitiable quotation for you (and words are
my business) I would like to off you this story.

Saddened, appalled and angry, as I was along with the rest of the country at
the Port Arthur tragedy I set out to prepare a piece of calligraphy to suit
my feeling of the massacre. I work with words, quotes, poems, prose on a
regular daily basis in the course of my work as a calligrapher. I do a great
deal of calligraphic artwork as well. Strangely I had of trouble at the time
selecting the words I wanted to use and was musing on this subject for  many
days until, all of a sudden it hit me.

"There are no words"

So I worked quite a stark piece of work with the ghostly words inscribed
thereon "There are no words".

I do not have the artwork any longer as the task served its purpose for me
as an ordinary Australian and an artist.  So Jennifer if it is words you are
after and nothing suitable comes your way then may I suggest you use "There
are no words". They could be depicted above the entrance to the exhibition
and/or in the catalogue as you suggested. I will even calligraph them for
you if you like.

Good luck

Cheers

Gemma Black