Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Arlyn Danielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:00:09 -0500
Dear Museum listers:  I am wondering what are some reasons why salary
information is kept out of posted position announcements.  It seems that in
order to attract the most appropriate candidates for a job, salary
information would be a good way to filter out those who cannot take a
certain salary and don't wish to waste anyone's time and energy.   It would
seem that someone who has a masters degree and at least 10 years of solid
museum experience and is at a certain professional level,  would not want
to bother with a position that only pays 20 something or low 30s.  This
isn't logical.  Perhaps there are a lot of highly qualified, but desperate
job seekers out there who are willing to go this route.

The problem with this, however, is that a highly qualified job seeker who
needs a job and is willing to take a substantial pay cut, may just stick
around as long as it takes to find another job at an appropriate salary-
commensurate with this individual's qualifications and interest/skill
level.

I offer this thought knowing fully that no one goes into the museum field
with the intention of becoming wealthy, and plenty of museum folks aren't
paid what they deserve, yet truly enjoy their jobs.

Thank you-
Arlyn Danielson