From:
Carol Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 09:14:43 +0100
And don't forget that your collection will grow - especially after a reno
or addition.   Adequate storage now will not be adequate in a few
years....trust me, we know!   Architects do have a tendency to forget that
the behind the scenes workers are actually human and not moles....I worked
for 7 years in a windowless room before being promoted to a skylight.  If
you do put windows in please avoid the groovy bubble type - they turn an
office in an oven in the summer (even our summer).    Architects also spend
a fortune on appropriate lighting in the public areas and install
flourescents in non public areas.  Having said all this perhaps the most
obvious approach would be to include the staff in the early planning rather
than leaving them to cope with spaces that are essentially left over from
the grand design.
Enough.

At 07:10 AM 4/6/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Things that are often overlooked in the design or redesign of museums is the
>amount of preparations and storage areas.  In the end the galleries look
>great, but the preparations team has to work in what amounts to a mop
>closet.
>
>Gary Acord
>Acord Information Management

Carol E Mayer