From:
Elize Rowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 17:49:26 +0000
Can any MUSEUM-Lers point me in the direction of information relating to
the management of multimedia resource rooms within museums/galleries?

I have located a wealth of literature about the actual creation of
multimedia resources, but have found little which relates to the
operational/management issues of providing visitors with multimedia
resources from a dedicated room/area within the museum.

(N.B. I am more interested in separate multimedia rooms/areas rather than
in-gallery interactives)

My initial questions relate to issues such as staffing
arrangements (staff dedicated to room or part of general duties?) ,
facilities offered (e.g. printing - free or fee-based?; visitor flows
(open access or booking system?); troubleshooting skills required by
staff (anything from major hardware failures to printer jams?).

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who has experience of setting up
and running this type of museum resource, or who can recommend
any relevant literature.

Anything which will ease the gradient of my learning curve will be greatly
appreciated!

Many thanks,

Elize Rowan
Head of Library                                 email: [log in to unmask]
National Museums of Scotland                    Tel.:  44-131-247-4153
Chambers Street                                 Fax.:  44-131-247-4311
Edinburgh EH1 1JF
UK