From:
Heather Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 00:28:37 -0500
Jennifer Nuske wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good quote (which I would like to use somewhere in
> the exhibition, perhaps at the entrance or in a catalogue) about art as a
> 'cathartic' action or experience?

Jennifer,

I couldn't find exactly what you were looking for, but you might want to
consider one of the following:

Art is the stored honey of the human soul, gathered on wings of misery
and travail.
- Theodore Dreiser

All art is a revolt against man's fate.
- André Malraux

I find in all the artists that I admire most a disturbing element, a
distortion, giving evidence of a struggle . . . . In great art, this
conflict is hidden, it is unresolved. All that is bursting with energy
is disturbing - not perfect.
_Henry Moore

I think most artists create out of despair. The very nature of creation
is not a performing glory on the outside, it's a painful, difficult
search within.
-Louise Nevelson

The dream reveals the reality which conception lags behind. That is the
horror of life -- the terror of art.
-Franz Kafka

Heather Price
Ella Sharp Museum