Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Timothy K Winkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 16:27:13 -0500
Let me first say that I appreciate all the responses I received on the
subject of museum hoaxes and I thank all of you who took the time to offer
advice and sources onthe subject.

My project has now been narrowed to the evaluation of two museums and
their treatment of (possible) hoax objects.  The Farmer's Museum of
Cooperstown has had the Cardiff Giant on display since the 40's and it is
the most popular exibit at the museum (or on the top of the list).  THe
Runestone Museum in Alexandria, Minnesota displays the Kennsington
Runestone, a slab of stone with runic inscriptions that some claim as
proof that Vikings landed in Minnesota and others claim is a bald
fabrication.  My intention is to compare and contrast these two
institutions and their display and presentation of possibly fraudulent
artifacts.  I will be interviewing staff and analyzing pr literature.
However, time, location, and resources prevent me from actually going to
these museums, so my request is this:

Can anyone give me their own personal evaluations, opinions,
recollections, etc. of these two institutions.  If you have only seen one,
I am still interested in your assessment.  How are these objects
displayed?  What is the overall effect and tone of the display?  What is
the overall impression of the institution?  How is the concept of hoax
dealt with in the context of the museum?  Any input would be greatly
welcomed and appreciated for this project.

Thanks, TIM

. Timothy K. Winkle             I will abide no .
. 324 Manville Ave #2           hypocrisy but   .
. Bowling Green,OH,43402        my own.         .