From:
Adriana Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:13:36 -0600
I am helping to develop a session at the upcoming SPNHC (Society for the
Preservation of Natural History Collections) workshop and would like some
ideas from Museum-Lers.

The workshop's theme is 'Moving Collections' and I am developing a wrap-up
session where participants will work in groups through a case study.

To initiate creative problem solving and to lighten the mood, I am looking
for anecdotes of unexpected problems during a collections move -- what you
would change if you could do it all over again or things that went
horribly wrong. Any problems with transportation? building contractors?
suppliers? Were the blueprints for the new facility never really checked
for ceiling height and you had to look for shorter employees? Was the
live dermestid collection moved to their new home right next to the
natural history diorama?

I need stories! Feel free to reply to me on or off list and your anonymity
will be preserved, if you so desire.

Thanks,

Audrey Yardley-Jones
Conservation Co-ordinator