From:
Margaret Hayon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 06:12:47 +0200
Re Nigerian cultural heritage, I saw an interesting and detailed article
on this topic: "Cultural heritage legislation and management in Nigeria"
by Folarin Shyllon (Professor of Law, University of Ibadan, Nigeria) -
published in "International Journal of Cultural Property" Vol 5 (1996)
No.2, pp.235-268.

Re the Benin expedition of 1897, my brother wrote a book on this: "City
of blood revisited" by Robert Home (published Rex Collings, London,
1982). The book includes oral testimony from Nigerian survivors of the
massacre, collected by my brother in Benin in the early 1960s. My
brother and I lived for some time in pre-independence Nigeria in our
childhood, as our father worked there for the colonial administration.
I still possess two Yoruba Ibeji figures, given me as a personal gift by
the Chief of a town where we lived. They are of great sentimental
significance to me: I hope no-one will require me to return them! :-)
However, I'm strongly in favour of the return of cultural heritage to
its legitimate heirs.  I'm now documenting the Ethiopian Jewish
traditions: photographing manuscripts and taperecording oral traditions.
I return photocopies of the manuscripts and copies of the recordings to
those who gave them to me.  An Ethiopian Jewish Qes once grumbled to me
about researchers (not me!) who visit and record material from them, and
then disappear: he commented: "they are stealing our heritage"!

Margaret Hayon
Student of Museology,
University of Haifa, Israel