From:
Brenda Weatherston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 1997 15:03:55 +0000
The Cultural Resource Mangement Program at the University of Victoria

       "The Dynamic Museum: Organizational Structure and
        Change" ~ July 7-12, 1997 with Candace Tangorra Matelic

A draft outline is now available for this upcoming course that
explores museums as dynamic organizations - how they work, and how
you can work effectively within them. Through an exploration of the
application of organizational theory and research in the museum
setting, you will gain new perspectives and skills to effect change
in your workplace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Course Outline Summary - Draft
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, July 7   Establishing Our Course Focus;
The Competing Values Framework

-  Introductions, overview,  expectations
- Presentation of case study, organizational change issues
and concerns by participants, group summary of common issues and
concerns
-  "Doing that thing you do", or why organizations function the way
they do; organizational structures, processes, management approaches
-  Effective for who?  The Competing Values Framework of
Organizational Effectiveness, and organizations as open systems

Tuesday, July 8    Does Leadership Matter in Organizations?

- Over 10,000 studies on leadership, and what do we know?  Overview
of leadership research:  traits, behaviours, situations
-  Fad or future direction?  Participatory, charismatic and
transformational leadership
-  Analyzing our own assumptions and leadership approaches
(participatory activities)
-  Competing values framework for leadership at all levels

Wednesday, July 9       Behaviour of Individuals and Groups in Museums and
Other Organizations

- Can people be managed?  Understanding why:  the role of motivation
- Are satisfied museum workers more productive?  job attitudes, job
design, job enrichment, quality of work life
-  Understanding how groups work:  group dynamics workshop
-  Decision-making

Thursday, July 10       Organizational Change and Development

- What we know about organizational change, and what we don’t know ·
Managing change and dealing with resistance to change
-  The bigger picture:  organizational development
-  Team-building and other useful interventions

Friday, July 11    Implementing Transformational Change:
Case Studies by Guest Speakers
· Guest Speakers:  T.B.A.
· Group discussion of organizational theory vs. museum realities

Saturday, July 12       Applying the Theory and Research to Real Life
Situations

- Review of course work, answering questions, other issues and
concerns
-  Individual consultations on presentations
-  Participant presentations
-  Wrap-up, course evaluation

Instructor: Candace Tangorra Matelic is the newly appointed Executive
Director of Historic St. Mary's City, Maryland; she has served as
Director and Professor with the Cooperstown Graduate Program and has
extensive teaching and museum management experience

Dates: July 7-12, 1997  plus pre-course assignment

Please register by: June 13

Fee: $589 (credit or non-credit, Canadian funds), plus a preparatory
off-campus module

Travel: Victoria is easily accessible by air or ferry from both
Vancouver and Seattle

Accommodation: Bed and breakfast accommodation is available
on-campus at $61.00/night Canadian funds, plus tax, or in
residence at $38/night plus tax (discount available for stays longer
than 14 days). Contact Housing Services at (250) 721-8395. Program
staff are pleased to provide information on alternative off-campus
accommodations.

For more information, please contact:

Joy Davis, Program Director
Cultural Resource Management Program
University of Victoria
Phone 250-721-8462 FAX 250-721-8774
E-mail  [log in to unmask]

For detailed Program information, please visit our Web Site at
http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp/