Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 20:40:38 -0500
In a message dated 97-03-19 22:50:10 EST, [log in to unmask] (Byron Johnson)
writes:

> Whoa,  I learned about this one the hard way. When we did an exhibit
>  including Colts and Winchesters at one museum our designer did a good job,
>  but turned all the loading gates and side-hammers towards the wall. In the
>  first three days we had at least ten firearms enthusiasts stop by the
office
>  to tell us to turn 'em around with the gates and hammers out!

Good Point! Sorry about that omission, Byron. AND, the jury is still out as
to whether or not you should display the gun with the serial number visible.
Apparently, with many antique firearms (with little to no provenance), it is
a simple matter to file a missing firearm report with the ATF, using a serial
number from an antique gun one saw at a museum, gun show, etc. If the
museum/owner cannot prove ownership, the ATF can and sometimes will
confiscate the firearm!

- Adrienne