From:
Gary Acord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 1997 18:04:57 UT
I agree with your statement of  sticking with a system if it is a good one.
and for paper systems (which can include basic wordprocessor and spreadsheet
use) the type of numbering system that you have indicated can work just great
for small collections such as yours.  but, while it sounds quite simple as you
have described it.  there is a very complicated logic to how your numbering is
done and making a database system "intelligent" enough to follow the logic you
have described (AND DO IT RIGHT EVERY TIME) is quite a feat.
I still maintain(and will until someone can show me a better way) that it is
best to let your database some up with a unique ID for each record.  if you
have the luxury of building from the ground up then you can take advantage of
some of the wonderful concepts that have been mentioned in the stream
regarding parent records and child records.
you might notice that many of these numbering schemes that people use today
are stem from paper cataloging systems.  coming up with a unique number based
on multiple criteria (like the date and donors name etc) was the only to keep
track of your files and what was what and where and when etc etc etc.  Now it
is possible to only concern yourself with the information itself and let the
computer keep it individualized in terms that it readily understands.  not to
mention the fact that doing things this way eliminates alot of "unnecessary"
coding my programmers and database developers.  because you know that every
function, query or sub-routine costs money and if a developer has to write
several functions built, with what a computer might consider weird logic, just
to come up with a viable identifying number that is time and money that could
be spent building something that is actually useful like reports and data
entry/retrieving screens or a deck on the back of his house :)

just my over zealous opinion.
Gary Acord
Acord Information Management