Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 13:31:41 +0500
Jay:
>Barbara, thanks for the reminder. And I know you're right, but... who sez? I
>really dislike the use of asterisks in place of quotation marks, and don't
>really understand what the underline (underlining nothing) means. Why can't
>quotation marks be used in email? And capitals occasionally? Who sez?
> Thanks!    Jay

Gene:
It's my understanding that asterisks are used, not in place of "quotation
marks" (which can be used in e-mail), but rather as a substitute for
boldface, italics, underlining, or other means of adding stress or emphasis
to written text -- devices which e-mail does not support.

Otherwise, I agree with the posting.

kjk:
I'm with Jay and Gene on this one.  Capitalization seems a reasonable
method of stressing a word or phrase.  But, to digress a bit: I don't know
why so many internet users insist on treating electronic communication as
oral conversation -- e.g. "shouting" -- or at best some sort of hybrid
between conversation and the written word.

It seems to me that written text has been around longer than any of us or
our computers, and those of us who consider ourselves competent (please do
not read "expert") writers can, like those who came before, get our
messages across through a judicious use of the written word.  This
certainly can be done without resorting to the use of smiley faces,
frowns, etc., although I will defend to the death (maybe) your collective
right to do so!

The last time this issue came up, I tried to imagine what Thomas
Jefferson's work would look like had he felt the need to add smiley faces
and frowns to the American Declaration of Independence.  The thought of it
put me in a better mood THAT day!  I enjoyed that...  I'm enjoying it
again as I write...

kjk -- trying to form a more perfect union :)