From:
David Haberstich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 18:12:49 EST
 I did not intend to complain about Miguel's recommendation of the
Selena film, and am not doing so now. However, I respectfully disagree
with Henry Crawford about the appropriateness of the subject. Feature
films about "a culture" or "popular culture" do indeed relate very
broadly to the work of some (definitely not all) museums, but not in any
specific sense. I think discussing popular movies is just too far afield
for a large, lively forum like Museum-L, no matter how you want to
rationalize their inclusion. If someone does a museum exhibit on Selena
(what would you exhibit?), perhaps it would be relevant to compare the
exhibit and the movie, but I think it's just opening a floodgate of
potential irrelevancy to start discussing our favorite movies.
     On second thought, I'd like to recommend "Sling Blade" for its
depiction of Arkansas culture. And my all-time favorite music movie is
"Amadeus."
     --David Haberstich