From:
Mark Vang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 12:39:41 UT
        Slap me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the level of technicial
knowledge regarding digital imaging in the Museum-l list members is way up
there!  I couldn't help but add my own 2 cents, though.  First, Margaret, you
can still buy a 5 1/4" floppy drive... though I wouldn't figure that that
would last for 5 more years.  So run out now and get one!  Personally, I never
keep anything on a diskette anyway all of my stuff is on my HD and when it's
time for the next bigger better HD it all gets copied over.  As for the actual
topic of image file size...

        It seems that if you compile the information from several points of view,
shooting the images using a "analog" camera, then having them placed on a
Kodak Photo CD covers every angle.  First, you don't have to invest in digital
camera equipment which is pretty cheap (+/1$1000), but can cost over $20,000.
You can stash the high resolution film negatives away and only use them if a
project needs that level of detail, accuracy.  Someone mentioned that digital
files can be easily altered, a CD-ROM is a read-only media so once you have a
Photo-CD or conventional CD (which, by the way, stores about 650 megs of data)
image security wouldn't be an issue.  Another advantage of the Photo-CD is
that it uses an proprietary image compression algorithm which means that you
are storing a high quality digital image in less space than many other
formats.  I also believe that the Photo-CD disks are gold-plated (maybe an
option).

        As for the issue of constantly changing technology... I guess you would have
to weigh the benefits of accessibility of the information against the cost of
maintaining the digital images.  I would figure that if you have a large
number of researchers that need access to this data and you are having
difficulty providing adequate access while maintiaining control over the
negatives in the current system then digital might be the way to go.  I do
believe that these issues are being addressed, but let's face it, computers
are a very competitive business and if your company tries to sell the same old
technology for more than 3 years, you are outta business.  From what I've
learned from watching the "Planet of the Apes" movies we really can't even be
assured of having electricity in 100 years, or for that matter - maginifying
glasses.

Mark C. Vang
Freya Ventures
(My opinions do reflect those of my employer, 'cause I'm the boss.)
2100 Mediterranean Ave, Suite 15
Virginia Beach, VA 23451
(757) 340-0099
* Interactive touch-screen computer systems and software for museum, science
center and aquarium exhibits. *