From:
Julian Ravest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 10:47:40 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>, liles melissa m
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>...I remember this thread some time ago, so my apologies for not
>archiving the answers...
>
>I am looking for collections management software that will allow me
>to "dump" current DOS registraral records into a new format.  Is
>there such a program or do I have to spend endless hours re-entering
>catalogue cards etc. into a collections management system?
>
>I am currently using WP5.1 merge files, which is quite strong for a
>small collection, but as our collection and needs grow we will have to
>switch to a much stronger and more museum friendly software
>environment.
>
>And has anyone found a good program that allows for digitizing?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help you may offer,
>
>Melissa Liles
>Registrar
>Muscarelle Museum of Art
>College of William & Mary

May I recommend that you seriously consider using Microsoft Access.  It
has a number of excellent features that are relevant to your work.

These include:

1.   Relative ease of transfering records from your DOS system:  I must
stress "relative" since the actual work involved for you depends upon
the structure of your current database.  However, there should not be
any problems and you certainly should not need to transfer the old
records by hand.  I have just completed transfer of over 10,000 records
from an old database into Access.  The only significant problem was the
poor quality of the original information, (many inconsistencies with
terminology, mixed concepts in fields, incomplete records etc).  Using
Access, and sometimes in conjunction with its stable-partner Excel, we
were able to transfer and clean-up the records at the same time.

2.   Access is very user friendly:  it has many advanced features but
you need not use them at first.  You can develop your use of the
database as your needs and skills evolve.  A prime consideration for us
was that much of the inputting of new information had to be done by
volunteers and computer illiterate older people.  By careful design we
were able to tailor the programme to these needs and the quality of the
results has been superb.

3.   Because Access is so widely used by the world at large, it is very
unlikely that your data will be trapped again in an outdated and
unsupported system. Future transfer of records to other newer versions
of Access or to other databases programmes is likely to be painless.

4.   Access will also allow images to be incorporated within the
database so that when you have solved your digitalising problem the
results can be added very easily.

5.   Access has very good control on outputs.  You can construct various
printouts or reports either from within Access, or you can export the
report to, say, Word, or other wordprocessors or DTP programmes.  The
information can also be easily made available on the Internet.  You
might like to try our existing site, Haslemere Educational Museum  where
we have, experimentally, made available information on part of the
collection.  Try:

http:/www.ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Richard_Hawkes

Once you have Access, (and you should probably get it as part of the
Microsoft Office Pro package since this also gives you Word and Excel),
I am sure you will find many other museum uses for it.  Our particular
task has been the development of a museums collections database which
will assist the comprehensive management of the collections and not
simply keeping the object records.  The Museum has some 250,000 objects
covering a multitude of subjects.

I should also say that to fully exploit the power of Access you will
need professional programming assistance - however you can get a long
way without it.

My best wishes for your project.

Julian Ravest
Museum Consultant