Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 18:21:19 -0400
On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Tamsin Irwin wrote:

> We are researching an article on the impact of E-mail on students.
> We would be grateful if you could answer the following questions.
> If you like you can provide a contact telephone number so we can
> talk further.
>
> How often do you log in?

Two and three times daily.

> To what extend do you find relationships change because of the use of
> E-mail as opposed to
> telephone?
I enjoy the privacy that e-mail offers, i.e. I answer mail if and when I'm
interested/able to do so. I have occasionally offended long standing friends
by my preference for e-mail as a mode of communication. I think some people
take awhile adjusting to the idea of "I've written you, now where's my
response..."; this isn't the case with e-mail. >
> Do you only mail people you have met in person?

Not at all. Most of my mail is to individuals I probably will never meet.

> Do you find the Net preferable to communicate than to speak in person?

As mentioned above, for the most part yes.

> Does E-mail provide the opportunity for you to socially say certain
> things you would not usually say, or contact people you would not
> usually contact?

Yes. I am a bit more outspoken regarding posts that I take a difference
with... but then, consistent with the above, there are occasions when I
couldn't bother.