From:
"David A. Penney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 11:43:41 EDT
There are middle grounds that can be taken regarding control of public
photography in museums. At The Baltimore Museum of Art we allow visitors to
photograph objects in our collections, but not those that belong to other
institutions or individuals. We allow only hand-held cameras, and do not
prohibit use of electronic flash--our conservators don't think it is an issue at
1/10,000 of a second duration or so. We do not allow unshielded flash bulbs,
though, because of the possibility of shattering (not that anyone has flashbulbs
anymore) .Allowing flash  is worth considering if you wish to allow visitor
photos at all, because many small cameras do not allow the user to turn off the
flash. We keep printed copies of our photography policy at the front door for
visitor and guard reference.

It is so difficult to get publication-quality photos of artwork in a museum
using a hand-held camera that we don't worry much about copyright issues with
the general public, where our own collections are concerned.  Anyone requesting
to use a tripod or other special equipment must make arrangements with PR or the
curatorial department concerned, and requests are evaluated based on the
prospective use of the images.  Any request to use continuous lighting must be
vetted by our conservation staff and closely supervised by us--this mainly
happens when TV crews are taping, and they are usually both careful and
understanding of limitations.

Hope this is of some help.

David A. Penney
Exhibitions Manager
The Baltimore Museum of Art

A common tactic that I've encountered (I almost always carry a camera when
visiting  museums) is to be asked at the front door to sign a form stating that
I will not make commercial use of my photos and that I have read and will comply
with the institution's conditions. Usually there is a little sticker or tag that
I then display to guards as I move around the building, showing that I have
permission to photograph.