From:
LA Maritime Museum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 1995 11:21:29 -0800
We have found that for a mid-size museum that FileMaker Pro is a very
versatile database to use. It crosses platforms.  It is compatible with
all hypercard interactive multimedia software. You can attach imagery to
your files, and it is very easy for volunteers to learn and navigate within.
We currently have a 160,000 image database in Filemaker Pro and we are in
the process of putting up another image collection of the same magnitude.
Because of its success, we have moved our entire collections, donor files
and friends files over into FileMaler Pro.

To link our imagery, video and sound files together with explanatory text
we utilize PictureThis 1.0. This interactive multimedia software is based
on hypercard and was developed by Cal State Univ., Long Beach. It is
shareware and just released in version 1.0.  You can get it through the
annonymous ftp address; ftp.nmc.csulb.edu/pub/picturethis/
PictureThis is an excellent tool for research and greater access to
collections.  Each database is built from a stack of cards. Cards can be
linked to other databases or WWW pages. All cards can be automatically
converted to html files for inclusion on a Web server. Each card can hold
up to 16 still images, and over 70 video clips and sound files. Still
images can be viewed in thumbnail, 1/4 screen and full screen. Fact
fields, notes and additional information  also accompany each card and
each image and video. There is also a slide show function which allows
you to develop a custom set of images from any card within a stack. If
you are researching there in a notebook function so that you can keep
your own notes in a separate file. Plus you can build custom indices.
PictureThis also has authoring modules that are separate allowing museums
to use PictureThis on display without concern of unsolicited editing. Two
manuals; one for touring and another for authoring are also available
through the ftp address. The manuals are written on DocMaker a self
launching software.
The LA Maritime Museum has built a stack for each major category in our
collections: Documents, Containers, Gear, Imagery, Floating Vessels,
Weapons, Instruments, Food Stuffs, Utensils, Sunken Vessels,
Architectural Holding, Personal Belongings, and Decorative Arts. This pretty
much covers our entire holdings. We have also used the program to display
specific projects; "Around Cape Horn" and "Beyond the Gate: Maritime
Highways of the California Gold Rush." This program is now used widely in
Australia among the maritime museums and historic vessels register.
We hope to see many of you using this great program.  We are using it
with wonderful results.  Good luck

Sheli O. Smith
Curator
Los Angeles Maritime Museum
Berth 84
San Pedro, CA 90731

Los Angeles Maritime Museum
NETCOM, the West Coast's Leading Internet Service Provider.      (408) 554-8649