From:
HNEEDHAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 11:18:21 +0000
Rachel;

I think you're quite correct in your thoughts as to WHY the comment books were
used in this instance.

I have a couple of suggestions.

Some years ago, after spending a couple of days with Kimberly Camp at your
Experimental Gallery, I used their idea for a quick evaluation of certain
aspects of our history hall. Rather than use a comments book, I used 2" X 2"
post-it notes, which visitors placed on a lighted 3 X4 board on an easal. Every
morning, I'd remove the previous day's comments and enter them in a simple data
base I'd created (it took me all of 5 minutes to set up!) using dBASE IV. This
greatly simplified retrieval, analysis and printing. You could do the same sort
of thing, but it has to be done on a daily basis or you give up.

By the way, it was a very successful experiment which identified the three
biggest problems with the gallery. we fixed them and, a year later, a more
elaborate evaluation confirmed the success of the changes. I'll send you a copy
of the report, if you're interested.

I find that the visitors are always fascinated by each other's comments and you
can showcase them - as part of the exhibition.

An example comes from one of my colleagues who wanted to collect input from
visitors as to what they considered their favourite souvenirs. This was near
the end of a very eclectic exhibition on souvenirs in Canada which is still
"up". She had a replica fabricated of a wooden Victorian postcard holder
(free-standing, mahogany, elaborately carved, holds about 50 cards). Visitors
were invited to describe their favourite souvenir (from their own experience)
on a card and place it in the holder. Old cards were cleared periodically, but
it was also done in the spirit of a contest; a sign told visitors that, at the
end of the show, a card will be drawn at random and the winner gets the replica
post-card holder. It is an incredibly ugly bit of Victoriana; I have suggested
giving the runner-up TWO of the beasts, the next entry THREE, and so on. But
the idea is interesting.

It seems to me that Christine Simpson at the Glenbow in Calgary did something
parallel to showcase memories for her very good exhibition "Growing Up and Away
in Alberta". I wish the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney had done something similar
with their fascination exhibition on the history of Australian rock music; I
can imagine what responses might have been collected!

Harry Needham
Canadian Museum of Civilization