From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 12:53:56 -0800
David,

I don't want to sound like a broken record (is this a metaphor which won't
be understood by the younger 'CD' generation?), but...

Access to a web site is not access to the museum, however I feel that a
visit to the web site has the potential to supply an equally compelling and
complex experience as a visit to the museum.  No one argues that the
experiences will differ, just as the experience of watching and learning
from a well done documentary on Africa differs from a safari.  As Eric
said, the web provides us with new tools to reach our audience.  One museum
may choose to use this new tool to provide travel information and
publicity, another institution may use the web to provide a unique
experience which can't be found in a 'real' museum.  Both approaches have
merit, however it is my feeling that the 'virtual' museum experience will
someday be far more common than visits to physical museums.

Jim

>I'm sorry, but no matter how you slice it or whose computer you use,
>computer access to a museum's Web site is not access to the museum, any
>more than a map of Arizona gives access to the Grand Canyon. All you're
>getting is information ABOUT SOME of the museum's stuff; it's like
>having a catalog, NOT like BEING there.  --David Haberstich

Jim Angus
Director of Information Technology and Hypermedia Programs
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007

voice:  213/744-3317
fax:    213/746-2999