From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 12:59:50 -0500
> If you would be so kind, who are these people with complaints about
>non-profit websites? what are their complaints. As I am opening up such a
>website I am fairly concerned.

The discussion actually occured on the maritime history list a few weeks
ago.  I had sent the list an announcement of the site.  Someone on the list
wrote to say she liked the site.  That provoked a fairly mild flame
(excerpt):

>I fail to grasp why the rave revues on Mystic Seaport's Web Site.
>
>Do you who think it's so great also rave over entertainment ads in
>magazines? book catalogs? flyers arriving in your daily mail? Perhaps I'm
>missing something, but I found it short on information. It is nothing more
>than an electronic flyer for the nautical Disneyland in Connecticut. (BTW,
>the Disneyland aspect probably does help pay for the undersung library and
>collections which are a delight for true maritime research workers.)

The subsequent discussion was moderate and defended the use of the web for
multiple purposes.  Oddly enough, I share the author's concerns....

I have the full discussion archived.  It runs 1300 words.  I can mail it to
anyone interested, or post to the list if there is demand.

Guy S. Hermann   |  Mystic Seaport Museum, Inc.  |  203-572-5392
[log in to unmask]   |  http://www.mystic.org/       |  Mystic, CT  USA