From:
Jeff Kupperman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 01:04:00 +0900
I try to avoid using the word "interactive" these days because it has come to
be one of those terms that sound great but can mean almost anything.  But
since it is used so much, sorting through all its definitions is certainly a
worthy undertaking.

On the subject, I highly recommend an article by Frank Oppenheimer of the
Exploratorium called "Everyone Is You... Or Me," published in Technology
Review, June 1976 and reprinted in The Exploratorium (magazine) Special Issue,

March 1985.  You can order this and another thin but good book called Working
Prototypes directly from the Exploratorium.  Check out their web site at http:
/
/www.exploratorium.edu.  While you're there look at "Exhibit Conception and
Design" in the "publications" section of their gopher or ftp site, accessible
from the top web page.

The more I think about the Exploratorium, the more I like their concept of
"interactivity."  Here is a quote from "Everyone Is You... Or Me."

"Consider our audience as contemplating a tree.  Science museums all describe
themselves as having interactive, involving, hands-on exhibits.  But they
misunderstand the implication of the terms they use.  A tree has no push-
buttons, no cranks, no manipulative parts; but there are a lot of ways of
interacting with it.  One can look at it, lie under it, climb and feel it.
One can watch the leaf buds unfold, mature into deepening greens and then
oranges and reds until they fall off.  One can study the bark, the cambium
layer, the root hairs, extract sap, learn about photosynthesis.  One can hear
the rustle and watch the swaying in the wind.  One can draw or photograph the
tree, carve initials in it, chop it down, or just stand and watch the sunlight

diffract around the edges of the leaves.  One can even learn its name."

A much looser and intuitive definition than Steward Brand's, but maybe not
incompatible.

Also, there are a few relevant paragraphs in a speech by Michael Spock printed

in the AYM's journal Hand to Hand in the Spring, 1988 issue.  Contact Mary
Clancy Haack at [log in to unmask] for more information.

Jeff Kupperman
Atelier Aza, Tokyo