From:
Rachel Faggetter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 09:20:33 +1100

>>Adrienne, what was wonderful about the room at the National Museum of the
>>American Indian?
>>
>>RACHEL FAGGETTER
>
>You could actually sit on the couch, there were copies of Lakota Times,
>Indian Sentinel etc on the coffee table and the tv was on playing a

Adrienne, Thanks for your reply. Exposing the stereotype is another way to
go, depending on whose in control and what issues of representation are
discussed.

 One of our ABC radio programs recently interviewed some US First Nations
people about their move to tackle the sterotypes used in sport and .. as in
the Atlanta Braves or the Washington Redskins. It must be casuing some
heartburn in the halls of big business.  What a great subject for an
exhibition. Imagine the artefacts!

You have no doubt seen a book which I found very interesting.. Daniel
Francis 1992, THE IMAGINARY INDIAN: The Image of the Indian in Canadian
Culture, Vancouver, BC, Arsenal Pulp Press.

What is your snail mail address?

Cheers,  Rachel

RACHEL FAGGETTER

Natural and Cultural Heritage Interpretation
Museum Studies, Deakin University-Rusden
662 Blackburn Road, Clayton, Victoria, Australia 3168
TEL. 61 3 9244 7467  FAX  61 3 9244 7134   Email:  [log in to unmask]: