From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 13:43:39 -0700
Eric,

I do all of our html scripting by hand, with a plain text editor.  I
recommend it as a way to get to know html.  As for learning how to do it,
just 'view source' at a site that you admire.  Monkey see, monkey do.

I learned enough in 4 hours to get our first site up, from scratch.

Jim

>     As part of our NEH and NYState Council on the Arts-funded site
>     interpretation program, I promised a Web site, which I would like
>     to start developing/prototyping myself. I have a nice zippy
>     486/33 machine (it *was* fast when I bought it!??) at home, and I
>     use Netscape and a dial-up PPP for access.
>
>     So what software are people using for developing Web sites? I
>     would like to make this kind of a fun site, not necessarily long
>     on graphics and bandwidth busting video, but with interesting
>     layering and links. I'm particularly interested in incorporating
>     hot maps (is that the right term for those clickable graphics?)
>
>     The whole project is about landscape as windows into other ways
>     of thinking about the natural world, in other cultures and other
>     times, so I would like to use that metaphor for the web site
>     itself.
>
>     On the other hand, I've never dealt with HTML, and for that
>     matter never "programmed" in anything more complex than R:Base
>     database scripting language. Ideally, the HTML language would
>     support all the latest extensions, though maybe I wouldn't really
>     *need* flashing text, and it would be easy to go back and forth
>     between scripting and display modes.
>
>     I could pay money for it if I have to, but I'm curious about
>     share and freeware like WebEdit and HotDog. Am I crazy to be
>     thinking about doing this myself? I'm a diehard autodidact, but
>     is this out of my league?
>
>     Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
>     Thanks, and a belated Happy New Year to all of you (us?) for whom
>     it is a new year.
>
>     Eric Siegel

Jim Angus

Director of Internet Resources/Information Technology
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007
(213) 744-3317

http://www.usc.edu:/lacmnh