From:
Henry K Mattoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 16:13:27 -0700
Whitney,

I'd suggest you contact Todd Gustafson at the George Eastman House re
your request concerning Mutoscopes (correct spelling). Phone no:
716.271.3970.

I've also forwarded your request over to the new film archivist at USC's
Film Dept., who said she would send you information on the Movie Machine
Society (meeting in Hollywood, Nov 2-4), an organization devoted to
collecting and preserving historical film equipment. She indicated it
might be possible for her to insert your request in their next Newsletter.

Personally, I think you might find it hard, if not impossible, to locate an
institution that  would allow exhibition of this equipment for the five
years you specify, especially if you intend for it to be fully operational
by the public. If that's the case, then you'd need to get reproductions
of the photograph cards you intend to use (and even these wouldn't
want to leave in the machine for five years). There will be other factors
involved as well, reputation of your institution, insurance, shipping
and other miscl. costs, proper exhibition environment, etc. Just my $.02.

I did see a Mutoscope for sale in a shop here in LA a year ago for
$1,000. Don't know if that's a good price or not, but they told me it was
in good working shape. (It's since been sold.)

Definition
==========

Mutoscope: the machine used to view images created with the Mutograph.
The Mutoscope was an early movie machine allowing single users to
view a series of individual photographs in rapid succession via a
hand-turned crank, thereby simulating movement, as opposed to the
Kinetoscope (Edison), which used a single long piece of film.

The American Mutoscope Company itself was est. in 1895, and later became
The American Mutoscope & Biograph Company (the Biograph camera allowed for
projecting motion picture film).

The real advantage of the Mutoscope was that it had a unique system
for using virtually the entire frame area of its 70 mm. film stock.
The Mutoscope image was larger (didn't need magnification), cleaner and
sharper than the typical 35 mm. film then in use by competitors. Also,
Mutoscope typically charged $.01 vs. Edison's $.05.

Hope this helps.

Henry

         |  Henry  K.  |  National  |     The     |              |
         |   Mattoon   |   Moving   |  American   | 213.856.7702 | voice
         |             |   Image    |    Film     |     467.4578 | fax
         | [log in to unmask] |  Database  |  Institute  |     962.6519 | bbs