From:
Roger SS Burgess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 20:43:47 GMT
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Stuart,
> I am not sure what you refer to as a computer guide?  A hand held mobile
>computerised information stick?. Introductory desk top compouter terminal with
>gallery mapping / exhibit  information?

>I observed the latter in action at the Stavanger Archaeological Museum during
>the ICOM conference. An effective introduction with appropriate graphics. The
>only problem was that a child monopolised the terminal for a full hour and a
>half. Rather negated the flow of information to other visitors I think you'll
>agree.

>The main advantage of computerised information for the public seems to be the
>ease in which museums can alter their events / exhibition database .

>Let me know what responses you receive on this topic.  It is something that I
>too would like to consider for the future of our museums.

>best wishes
>Roger

Hi
You could also contact Acoustiguide we have recorded tours using
digital technology at the Tate Gallery in London, Portsmouth Harbour &
Fort Nelson just to name a few. We can be contacted at
[log in to unmask] I'm the engineer that looks after it all it
the UK. But we are a world wide company
I hope nobody takes this as advertising I'm just passing on my own
biased opinion.
regards

Roger SS Burgess Tel. +44 (0)1243 785325
                 Fax  +44 (0)1243 771061
               Mobile +44 (0)831 832689
      e-mail [log in to unmask]