Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lisa Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 07:42:20 EST
I'm not sure if ravens are protected under the Migratory Bird Act or the
Wild Bird Conservation Act of 1992 but according to the Lacey Act it is
a violation of state, federal or tribal law to acquire specimens
(including road kill) without proper permits.  And if one wants to
accession the specimen into a collection, how does one legally do so
without proper permits?  I do agree that one should contact the
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at the Office of Management Authority;
4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Room 430; Arlington, VA  22201 or phone
703-358-2104.  There is a lot of confusion on the multitude of laws
governing the protection of species (endangered or not) so you may
want to follow up your inquiry with a written letter.

Good luck!

Lisa

There's an interesting article in Museum News, the May/June 1994 issue
called "Butterfly Sting" by Donald Garfield.

Lisa Palmer:   [log in to unmask]
Smithsonian Institution/National Museum of Natural History
Division of Fishes, MRC 159
Washington, DC  20560