Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Joshua Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 19:23:47 -0500
On Nov 3, 10:43am, Susan Hayes wrote:
> An example: placing contemporary art of Native Americans alongside
> contemporary art of EuroAmericans, using time period at the unifying theme.

I find it strange that you feel this is a representative scenario of improper
context.  In displaying contemporary art, I do not know of many museums that
create a distinction between country of origin, or culture.  It is usually
assumed that contemporary artists are aware of international trends.  To
display a native American painting/sculpture/etc. next to a European
painting/sculpture/etc. from the last 20 or 30 years is just as proper as
showing American and English Pop Art next to each other...or showing Man Ray
next to some Andre Breton or Andre Masson.  Since to end of Modernism, art is
art whether from Europe, the U.S., Canada or anywhere else.  The exchange of
news, concepts and techniques from one country to another, or one continent
to another is a common everyday occurence...Contemporary Art fits in one
giant category no matter what country or culture produced it.

A better example of "out of context" would be a 19th century French academic
nude next to a 8th century East) Indian image of Daruma, founder of Zen
Bhuddism!

> I am also very interested in anyone that might want to have an off-list
> discussion of the inherent power that the producer of the exhibit has
> when she makes the decision of how she wants to classify objects.

Only woman create exhibits...are men no longer involved?  Not meant as an
insult! :^)

--
Joshua Heuman
Art History Undergraduate