From:
Adrienne DeArmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 16:07:48 -0500
In a message dated 95-11-16 18:52:25 EST, [log in to unmask] (Tom B) writes:

>Musical instruments are frequently "played" to maintain their sound quality,
>although that is a stretch when compared to firing a firearm.  However,
since
>the object appears to be contemporary by your description, it is a far cry
>from the situation if it were a true historic firearm from the handcrafted
>era (pre-1885).  I say, let the owner/donor fire it and "add" to the
>significance of your piece.

This is the crux of the problem. Yes, the gun would really not be hurt
terribly by being fired BUT I am most concerned about the precedent being
set. We have a precious and fragile fowler (hunting shotgun) owned by
Napoleon Bonaparte. It is bad enough that VIP's who get the rare opportunity
to tour our vault want to hold it, but what if one of Napoleon's descendents
wanted to come shoot it? BAD IDEA. And yet, like with law, if a precedent has
been set.... Of course the firing of the gun is moot at this point as it did
not happen. However, the discussion is important.